Friday, July 31, 2015

Shrimp Stock


OK....this may not be something you were expecting, but let me tell you..... following a real stock recipe made all the difference!

We eat a lot of shrimp here.  I mean A LOT!!!  I learned several years ago that the second best thing to shrimp are the shrimp shells and starting making my own stock (when peeling uncooked shrimp, wrap the shells in plastic wrap and put into a ziplock back until you have about a filled gallon-sized bag.)  Generally with stock, chicken or shrimp, I generally throw in celery, carrots, onions, and maybe a few herbs, always with good results.  But for some reason, I actually searched for a published stock recipe and found this one from Emeril Lagasse of Food Network.

I followed the recipe almost to the "t" making adjustments only with the amount of shells and water.  This stock is perfection.  It is now in my freezer waiting for a good gumbo and seafood chowder day.  Tick tock, tick tock.  I can hardly wait!

SHRIMP STOCK (makes about 9 cups)

about 1 1/2 pounds shrimp stock
10 cups water
1/2 large onion, quartered
1 lg celery rib, quartered
1 lg carrot, quartered
stems from an 8 oz package of mushrooms
1 Tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
Sachet consisting of the following:
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp crushed black peppercorns
4 parsley stems

Put the shells with the remaining ingredients into a stockpot.  Bring to a boil.  Let simmer for about an hour.

Strain through a colander.  I put 2 cups of stock in each freezer bag (1 bag had one cup), label, and wait for some cool weather!

Recipe Source: adapted from http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/shrimp-stock-recipe3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment