Friday, March 2, 2012

Farmer's Seafood Boil



I loves me a good seafood boil!  And I just happened to have everything on hand to throw this together for a quick, easy, and wonderfully complete dinner.  Now, the last time I made this, I had used Zatarain's Shrimp & Crab boil, but it was so loaded with cayenne pepper, we just couldn't eat it.  So this time I looked up a recipe for a shrimp boil seasoning mix and it came out just right (I did omit the crushed red pepper and I didn't have any of the pickling spices, although I will try those next time....I just didn't feel like running up to the store in the midst of all of the storms we're having today).  The prepared seasoning mixes are handy, but if you decide to try your own mix you might want to use one of those little cheesecloth bags used for loose tea, although I do like the snap of the mustard seeds!

FARMER'S SEAFOOD BOIL  (serves 6)

2 pounds shell-on, headless shrimp, at least 26-30 count
5-6 oz crab and shrimp boil
2 Tbsp salt
12 whole new potatoes or 3 russet potatoes, unpared and quartered
4 onions, quartered
1 link pork or Italian sausage, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
3 ears corn, cut into thirds


In a large boiling pot, bring a gallon of water, crab, and shrimp boil and salt to a boil.  Add potatoes and boil for 10 minutes.  Add onions and sausage and boil for 5 minutes.  Add shrimp and corn.  Boil for 5 minutes more.  Drain and serve with crusty bread and a cold beverage.

SHRIMP AND CRAB BOIL SEASONING MIX

1/4 cup pickling spices
1/4 cup sea salt
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
2 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp celery seeds
1 Tbsp minced dried chives
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp dried oregano
5 bay leaves

 

No comments:

Post a Comment