Sunday, March 4, 2012

"Old-Fashioned Foods" Ham Salad


Passing the deli case the other day, I spotted this salad which I hadn't made/eaten in years.  For me, it's one of those foods that just reach out to me every once in a while.  I imagine it's been around for, well, just about forever.  But it was never anything my mother ever made.  While working at a restaurant in MN, it was a big seller.  Every once in a while, I'd have a few bites.  Maybe you remember this from a church social or something your grandmother might have around.  It's a bit of comfort, every once in a while.

"OLD-FASHIONED FOODS" HAM SALAD (makes about 6 side servings)

1/2 pound uncooked pasta (I used the small penne pasta, small shells would be good, also), cooked
8 oz diced ham
8 oz diced cheddar cheese
8 oz finely chopped celery
1 Tbsp finely chopped onion

Dressing:
8 oz Miracle Whip
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp white pepper (I used 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp yellow mustard

Whisk the ingredients together for the dressing.  Mix the salad ingredients together and then toss with dressing.  Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment