Saturday, March 31, 2012

Incredible Turkey Meatloaf


Recipes have been sketchy this week this week because I have been serving dinner out of the freezer this week.  Meaning.....repeats!!!!  I am serious about cleaning it out for the summer so I can start fresh this coming fall.  Plus, you'd be lucky to get a piece of paper in there!  Poor Jim....every time he opens the door, you just shakes his head!  And it is a mess.  SO.....I am hell-bent on cleaning it out.

And in a simple stroke of luck, I hit the jackpot.  I've never been disappointed in my meatloaf.  Never the same, but always satisfying.  But this combo of leftovers was just incredible.  Incredibly tasty, succulent, and an unusually smooth texture.  The only thing different I would do is double the sauce recipe (the recipe below is doubled for next time).  I just made enough to coat the top, but some extra would be nice next time for dipping.

Again, this was just a stroke of luck using three different types of turkey.  Who knows when I'll have these ingredients together again to make this recipe.  But it will definitely be on the menu next fall.

INCREDIBLE TURKEY MEATLOAF (serves 2-3)

8 oz ground turkey
3 oz Italian turkey sausage (1 link)
4 oz ground turkey sausage crumbles (cooked turkey, a Jimmy Dean product, in the frig section with the breakfast sausages)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup rolled oats (I used quick oats)
1/4 chopped onion
1/4 cup milk
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt

Sauce: (I halved this amount this time, but will definitely use this amount next time)

1 cup prepared spaghetti sauce
2-3 dashes hot sauce (we prefer Louisana brand hot sauce)
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire
1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, turkey Italian sausage, and turkey sausage humbles, along with the egg, oats, onion, and milk.  Season with 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well and form into a loaf.  I used a disposable 8"x3 3/4"x2 3/8" aluminum pan, sprayed with with cooking spray, and form the loaf in the pan.

In a separate small bowl, mix together the spaghetti sauce, hot sauce, and 1/2 Tbsp Worcestshire sauce and liquid smoke.  Smooth over the  entire meatloaf (save half of the sauce for dipping).

Bake in preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes (I took a nap, overslept, and it cooked for 1 1/4 hours and it still turned out wonderfully).  

No comments:

Post a Comment