Friday, March 16, 2012

Smoked Salmon Chowder


Oh Yum!!!  Yumsville!!!  This chowder exceeded my expectations.  I think the only way it could have been better would have been with the addition of some diced, cooked red potatoes (aren't potatoes a basic addition to chowder, anyway?) and maybe serve it in a bread bowl, if those are available to you.  The potato addition is an easy fix.  I had some packaged (3 oz) smoked salmon, and I had some leftover home-smoked (in my new fancy-schamcy smoker, thank you My Love) salmon, so I just threw both of them in. 


Prepping all the ingredients beforehand, this chowder comes together in a snap (I will add a couple of large, cooked, diced red tomatoes to the chowder next time).  I served it with a Caesar salad and a whole-grain roll. 


SMOKED SALMON CHOWDER (6-8 servings, depending on cup/bowl size)

2 Tbsp butter
4 strips smoked bacon, diced
1 large sweet onion, minced
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced (or about 8 baby carrots)
1 celery rib, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced (about 2 tsp)
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp AP flour
5 cups 1% or higher-fat milk
12 oz frozen sweet corn kernels
1 cup diced smoked salmon (about 6 oz)
1/2 Tbsp salt
1/4 tsp hot sauce (we prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce, plus I also added some Nunu's Cajun Seasoning)
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the bacon and cook until it renders its fat and starts to crisp, about 5 minutes.  Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Add the carrot, celery, garlic, and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.

Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes.  Gradually whisk in the milk.  Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid scorching.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally (Initially, I thought I was going to have to add some instant mashed potatoes to thicken the chowder, but it did eventually thicken).

Stir in the corn kernels and salmon.  Heat through for about 5 minutes.  Season with salt and hot sauce, pepper, lemon juice, and dill.  Taste a bit of the soup and add more salt and fresh dill as needed. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment