Saturday, April 28, 2012

Abuelo's Papas Con Chile


OK....I did a computer search for Abuelo's Restaurant Papas Con Chile (mashed potatoes).  A wonderful substitute for Spanish rice.  I found the most fabulous recipe, made it, LOVED it!!!  I have lost the recipe!!!!  Hopefully, it will turn up once I clean up my desk!  But, doing another search, I found a recipe very close to what I used.

First, let me say, this recipe calls to use red potatoes.  I love red potatoes and I used them for everything, including baking.  But if you prefer starchy versus waxy, you could certainly substitute russets.  I am going to list the recipe I found after multiple searches, but I will say that I used less Velveeta and added green and red peppers (diced) and not the jalapenos or pimientos, but I imagine the recipe is going to be very close to what I use the other day.

Also, I did let my potatoes broil for a few minutes, therefore the one side of this photo is a bit more brown.  Absolutely delicious!!!

P.S.  I also noted above with the enchilada recipe that I also served this with refried beans.  I can't find the photo.  But it is an easy, easy, easy recipe.  I simply buy a can of fat-free refried beans and a can of mild green enchilada sauce.  I combine the two (maybe 2/3 can of the enchilada sauce), whisk it together and add a handful of diced sweet onions and some shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican blend cheese, bake it with the the enchiladas,  then maybe top it with some more cheese and broil it for a minute or two until brown.  This, by the way, makes a wonderful dip for tortilla chips.


ABUELO'S PAPAS CON CHILE  (serves 6)

2# red potatoes
2 oz cream cheese
4 oz Velveeta
1/3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly minced garlic
2 oz diced green chilies
1 oz pimientos (or substitute chopped red peppers)
1/2 oz pickled jalapenos (or substitute green bell peppers)
2-4 Tbsp finely diced green onions
NO milk

Wash and remove weird spots off potatoes.  Place in stock pot and cover with water.  Boil over medium flame until potatoes are soft to the touch.  Drain water.

Combine all ingredients into pot with cooked potatoes.  Whip with mixer until creamy and smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment