Monday, April 16, 2012

Tomato Brie Pasta Sauce


My, my, my!!!  This little blog of mine has been so neglected over the last month or so.  Between my quest to use up food in the freezer and pantry, and with Spot's ongoing liver crisis, I haven't made a new dish in the longest time.  Well, this was one more "use-it-up" ingredient.  BRIE CHEESE!   I happened to run across this recipe several weeks ago and had the foresight to print it out.  

And how wonderfully it turned out!  Even if you're not a big fan of Brie cheese, I can't see how you wouldn't love this.  It adds a bit a creaminess to a traditional red sauce, but an added depth of flavor.  Yummmm!!!!  Serve it over any type of pasta (penne, farfelle, even spaghetti) with  a Caesar salad for a meatless Monday meal.

TOMATO BRIE PASTA SAUCE  (makes about 3-4 cups of sauce)

28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 oz Brie cheese, out rind removed, cubed (I had an 8 oz wheel, once the rind was removed, I had 4 oz cheese)

In a medium saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, sugar, basil, and red pepper flakes (if using).  Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.  Add the Parmesan cheese and stir well, continuing to simmer for another 1-2 minutes.  Stir in the Brie cheese, simmering and stirring until the cheese melts.  Serve the sauce of pasta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment