Monday, September 23, 2013

Mediterranean Baked Chicken




OK, I'm not sure what happened this last week, but I do believe I hit the Mustard and Chicken Lottery recipe twice in one week!!!   I was thrilled about Sweet Mustard Baked Chicken posted just a few days ago and then......voila!!!!  Publix adds one more recipe to my repertoire!  Holy Smokes, Batman!  This is some good eatin'!  Why it's called Mediterranean Baked Chicken is beyond me, I think it should be called Some Smokin' Good Mustard Chicken.

I do have to admit, I can count on one hand the times I've used any Campbell's Cream-of-Anything soup (which is called for in this recipe) in the last few years, but being in a hurry to recreate this dish of luciousness, I bit the bullet and used it.  Next time I'll create my own celery version of a bechamel sauce.  Also, I used chicken cutlets instead of breasts, so I turned the oven down to 375F since cutlets are simply breasts cut in half lengthwise.  But, hey, I was under pressure here and wanted to make this dish immediately!

MEDITERRANEAN BAKED CHICKEN (serves 4)

4 boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 pound
cooking spray
4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs (I used Panko seasoned with dried Italian seasoning)
1 (10.75 oz) can reduced-fat, reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 cup reduced-fat milk
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400F.  Coat a 13x9" baking dish with spray.

Fry bacon pieces.  Set on paper towel to dry.

Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl.  Coat both sides of chicken and place in a baking dish (wash hands).  Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is 165F.

Combine soup, milk, and mustard until well blended.  Pour over chicken, sprinkle with cheese and bacon.  Bake 5 minutes or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.

Recipe Source:  www.publix.com/aprons

No comments:

Post a Comment