Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Watermelon Goat Cheese Salad


Have you ever run across a recipe that you either said a) "There is no way in the world I would ever try this because it just sounds so weird," or b) "I have got to try this because it just sounds so weird?"

OK, so I went with "B" this time.  I found this in the food section of our local paper a few weeks ago.  I've held onto to the recipe almost afraid to try it.  But it only calls for four ingredients, all of which I had on hand.  And it only takes minutes to make so why not try it?

I was completely astonished!  I loved it!!!  As I ate through the batch I made, I tried to figure out what, if anything, should be changed.  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Each and every (all four) element is essential.

A couple of notes:  I scaled the amount down to a quarter of this recipe.  The recipe listed below shows the published amounts, with my alterations in parentheses.  Also, I used (because I had on hand) a bottled balsamic glaze instead of making the balsamic syrup.  I would suggest shredding the basil very thin to avoid it overpowering the salad.

WATERMELON GOAT CHEESE SALAD (2-4 servings)

8 cups diced watermelon
(2 cups)
1 small log plain goat cheese, crumbled
(2 Tbsp crumbled)
6-7 large basil leaves, finely shredded
(2-3 medium leaves)
2-3 Tbsp balsamic syrup, recipe below
(3/4 Tbsp balsamic glaze)

Combine the watermelon on a wide, shallow dish.  Sprinkle the goat cheese on top, followed by the basil, then drizzle with the balsamic syrup.  Serve immediately

To make the balsamic syrup:
Combine 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar with 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan.  Simmer until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is dissolved and the mixture reduces by half.  Remove from heat and cool.  Can be made ahead.

Recipe Source:  Chattanooga Times Free Press (Ann Braly), 8-28-13

No comments:

Post a Comment