Thursday, September 26, 2013

Spinach Soup




On a directive from my appliance repairman, I am (once again) on a mission to scale down the contents of my refrigerator and (mainly) the freezer.  So I have made a promise to myself for the next couple of weeks to use several things out of the freezer at each meal so I can eventually slip a piece of paper somewhere in there.

OK, so this did not come out of the freezer, but I did have a big bag a spinach which a few questionable leaves.  This was the first recipe I came across and used it because I had everything on hand.

This is a simple, low-fat soup.  I did add an extra potato to add a bit more heft to the soup.  I also used lemon-pepper instead of black pepper to add a bit more flavor.  And lastly, I had cooked one of my favorite rice blends (shown above) and so I added a few spoonfuls of the cooked grains to add some texture.  Your option.

SPINACH SOUP (serves 4)

2 tsp EVOO
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups fat-free or low-fat milk
6-9 oz fresh spinach
Black pepper or lemon pepper
Cooked rice or grains, optional

Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven.  Saute garlic, onion, celery, and potatoes for 5 minutes.

Add chicken broth and milk.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in half the spinach, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Cool slightly, then transfer soup to a blender, working in two batches if necessary.

Add remaining spinach and blend.

NOTE:  Since this is a light soup, you will get a lot of air in it when you blend it.  I suggest you let the soup stand for at least half an hour and then lightly reheat.

Recipe Source:  www.lowfatcooking.about.com



No comments:

Post a Comment