Friday, January 3, 2014

Black-Eyed Peas with Greens



So did you have black-eyed peas and greens for you New Year's good luck?  I've had them every year for as long as I can remember....it's a southern tradition to bring you luck (black-eyed peas) and money (greens).  Jim tells me he only remembers missing them one year and that year he got drafted!  Needless to say, he hasn't missed a year since.

When we got married, his father gave me his recipe for cooking the peas in the oven.  And we always had cole slaw since Jim doesn't care for any type of greens.  Since he wasn't home on January 1st this year, I wanted to incorporate greens into my recipe.  I used his dad's recipe and added what I use when I make greens on their own.  I like "Wiley's Green Seasoning" which I have found every state we've lived in....you can find the packets in your produce department.

While this recipe is a bit late for 2014 New Year's Day, tuck it away for new year.  Serve it over rice for traditional Hoppin' John or simply by itself.  If you have leftover ham, add that.  I love topping it with Texas Pete's Pepper Sauce (those little peppers in a glass bottle filled with vinegar) and Louisiana Hot Sauce.  Or spice it up even more with some Cajun seasoning or other spicy concoction you prefer.

BLACK-EYED PEAS with GREENS (6-8 servings)

12 oz black-eyed peas
1 cup chopped onion
1 large jalapeno, seeds and veins removed, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 tsp minced garlic
EVOO
4 cups water or low-sodium chicken stock
4 cups chopped greens (collard, turnip, mustard, kale)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 package Wiley's Green Seasoning
chopped ham, optional
pepper sauce and/or hot sauce, optional
addtional spicy seasonings, optional

Soak peas covered in water overnight, if desired (I've left this step out before and they came out fine).

In a stock pot, cover the bottom of a hot pan with olive oil.  Add onion, jalapenos, celery, and garlic.  Saute until tender, about 6-7 minutes.  Add peas and water or stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Cook until beans are just about done, start checking at around 45 minutes.

Add greens, cilantro, and seasoning.  Cook until greens and peas are tender to your liking. Add ham, if using.

Serve over rice, if desired.  Season with hot sauce or other seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment