Monday, January 20, 2014

Smoky Shrimp and Grits


I do loves me shrimp and grits, being a good Southern girl and all!  If if they're on the menu, chances are I'm going to order them.  I have a traditional recipe which I love (see July 19, 2012 post) which includes Italian sausage, ham, black-eyed peas, green onions, and tomatoes.  This is a much simpler version but tasty nonetheless.

The recipe I found called for hot paprika, but I thought smoked paprika would be a better choice for me.  It was wonderful.  The cheese grits are simple with some chopped spinach added to it (and I sprinkled some of the smoked paprika in also).  I served it with that fantastic spinach salad I posted yesterday.

SMOKY SHRIMP and GRITS (serves 4)

3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
S&P
2 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
1 1/2 cup baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup snipped chives
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 pound shelled and deveined shrimp (size your choice)
1/2 tsp hot or smoked paprika, plus more for grits if you choose
1/4 cup dry white wine

In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil.  Gradually add the grits and a generous pinch of salt.  Cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the grits are thick and porridge-like, about 7 minutes.  Season with S&P and stir in the cheddar cheese, baby spinach, and chives (and paprika, if using); stir until the cheese melts and the spinach is wilted.  Cover the grits and keep warm.

In a large skillet, heat the canola oil with the garlic over medium heat until frangrant, about 30 seconds (stirring constantly so garlic won't burn).  Increase heat to medium-high, add the shrimp and paprika, season with S&P and cook until shrimp are opaque, just minutes depending on the size of shrimp you are using.  Add the white wine and cook unil the shrimp are white throughout and the garlic-paprika sauce is slightly reduced.

Spoon the grits into bowls, top with shrimp and sauce; serve.

Recipe Source: Food & Wine (via the Huffington Post)

No comments:

Post a Comment