Saturday, January 11, 2014

Brown Sugar Ham and Beans


I posted this recipe a few years ago but had to repost it for those who might have missed it.  This is my absolute favor navy bean soup.  And I only made it once a year for two reasons:  1) I don't usually get more than one bone-in ham a year and 2) it's a wee bit decadent.  But it is, in the words of Mr. Food, "oh so good!"

The original recipe I had calls for 1-2 cups of light brown sugar, but I have found that 3/4 cup is plenty for me.  It also calls for regular whipping cream, but I have used half-and-half with results that were just as good.

So if you happen to have a ham bone looking for an incredible home, give this a try.  It will have you licking your lips!

BROWN SUGAR HAM and BEANS (about 6 entree servings, or about 10 cup servings)

1 lb navy beans, soaked overnight
1 meaty ham bone (plus extra ham if you like)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup half-and-half or cream
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ginger powder
3/4 or 1-2 cups light brown sugar

Place navy beans and ham bone in crock pot and fill with just enough water to cover beans and part of the ham bone (don't overfill or you soup will be too thin).  Cook on low 3-4 hours.

Add remaining ingredients and cook an additional 2-4 hours or until beans are tender.  Take bone out and shred remaining meat off bone and add to soup.

Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and a salad (I made cornbread and coleslaw).

No comments:

Post a Comment