Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Broccoli Cheese Soup


Well, I took the plunge and am taking a chance on a commercial-grade blender, a Vitamix.  I've been wanting one for several years and have been keeping an eye on accessories and price.  The deal I recently found is the best so far.  And I've got 30 days to see if I think it's worth the price.  So I'm going to try something just about everyday.

One of the reasons I loved the idea of these mixers (other than the fact that they blend anything perfectly smoothly) is that it makes hot soup right in the mixer.  It blends at such a high velocity you don't need to heat it in another vessel.  And I love the cookbook because it gives not just gives quanity amounts (1/2 cup, for example), but weights (60 grams).  I love cooking by weights, especially when baking.  Bless those Europeans (well, just about everyone else in this world!)

I chose this recipe because I happened to have everything on hand.  Five simple ingredients and a nutritious, delicious soup on the table in just minutes.

BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP (makes 2 cups)

1 cup (240 ml) milk
1/2 cup (60 g) shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups (150 g) fresh or frozen broccoli or cauliflower florets, steamed (or thawed and at room temp)
1 tsp diced onion, or more to taste
1/2 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
extra broccoli florets and cheddar for garnish, optional

Place all ingredients into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid (if using a standard blender, do the same and blend until smooth).

Select Low speed (on Vitamix).

Turn machine on and then switch to High speed.

Blend for 6 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.  If having mixed in a standard blender, move mixture to a sauce pan and heat throughout).

Recipe Source: Vitamix Creations Cookbook, p. 108

No comments:

Post a Comment