Thursday, February 20, 2014

Corn and Green Bean Salad


Seems like I've gotten a big nostalgic over the winter.  I had pulled out my old recipe cards (remember those?) and found myself making dishes I hadn't made in decades.  Basic recipes that takes you back to years gone by.

I think this was a dish that someone brought to our home after a death in the family.   We all loved it and when the time was right, asked the friend (who was it?) for the recipe.  I made it quite a few times and then it got tucked away and forgotten.

I made it the other day and had to finally put some of it away before I ate the entire batch.  It's not just the new, wonderful 21st century foods I wanted to feature in my personal blog, but those older ones that came from mothers, grandmothers, and old friends.

CORN and GREEN BEAN SALAD (4 side servings)

Salad:
1 can LeSeure small, young peas, drained and rinsed
1 can white shoepeg corn, drained and rinsed
1 can french-style green beans, drained and rinsed
chopped celery, amount to taste
chopped onion, amount to taste
1 small can sliced black olives, drained and rinsed
1 small jar pimientos, drained and rinsed

Dressing:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbsp vinegar (tarragon, white wine, rice)
1 Tbsp sugar or Splenda
S&P to taste

Whisk the dressing ingredients together.  Set aside.

Mix all of the salad ingredients together.  Coat with dressing.  Chill before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment