Monday, February 3, 2014

Snickers Chex Mix


Let me preface this by saying (again), I do not have a sweet tooth.  When I bake a batch of cookies for Jim's office, I might take a bite out of one and give him the rest.

When I found this on a blog, I read that they were addictive.  As usual, I took a bite.  And another.  And another.  And then I made a bag for myself before I sent the rest off to the office.  These are deeeeee-lish!!!

And quick and easy to make.  I did make a few adjustments to the recipe for simplicity sake.  You can see the original recipe and step-by-step cooking instructions at the blog listed below (she is a regular source for me).

SNICKERS CHEX MIX

1 box Chocolate Chex cereal
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 package (11 oz, about 20 caramels) unwrapped Kraft caramels (or other brand if available)
1 Tbsp heavy cream, half-and-half, or even a vanilla-flavored coffee creamer
3/4 cup salted peanuts
1/2 package (8 oz, about 20 bites) Snickers bites (I cut mine in half, optional)

Line a baking sheet with waxed paper then set aside.  Add cereal to a large, microwave-safe dish or bowl then set aside.

Add brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup to a microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl.  Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through, then stir in baking soda.  Pour mixture over chex then stir to coat.  Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every minute, then pour onto prepared baking sheet.  Cool completely, about 15 minutes, then break into bite-sized pieces.

Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe dish then microwave for 30 second increments, stirring after each increment, until smooth.  Drizzle over chex using a spoon.

Add caramel bits and cream to a microwave-safe dish then microwave for 1 minute, stirring halfway through, until smooth (may take an extra 30/60 seconds).  Drizzle over chex using a spoon.

Sprinkle peanuts and Snickers over chex mix while caramel and chocolate are still warm.  Place in the fridge to cool completely and then break apart and store in an airtight container at room temp.

Recipe Source:  www.iowagirleats.com


No comments:

Post a Comment