Monday, December 22, 2014

Honey Fruit and Nut Chicken Salad






Again, not much cooking going on here lately.   I have my Christmas breakfast and dinner menu set and ready to go.  I'm hoping it's going to be as easy as was Thanksgiving.  So until Jim gets home, I'm subsisting on baked sweet potatoes and rotisserie chicken!

Speaking of chicken, they were demo-ing this at Publix  the other day.  It's a pretty traditional chicken salad, but this one has walnuts and almonds, along with dried apricots and dried cranberries (I suspect they must have snuck some golden raisins in there even though it wasn't on the ingredient list).

The amounts below are what I used when I made my salad.  I can guarantee you they used doubled the mayo, if not more.  Also, I probably doubled all the crunchies: celery and nuts. So adjust the amounts to what suits your tastes.

HONEY FRUIT and NUT CHICKEN SALAD (2 servings)

1 cup (4 oz) shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken
2 Tbsp mayo (I use 1 Tbsp regular and 1 Tbsp reduced-fat mayo)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp honey
1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
3 Tbsp finely-diced celery
2-3 Tbsp finely-diced sun-dried apricots (about 4 round apricot discs)
2-3 Tbsp dried cranberries
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp chopped almonds
golden raisins, optional

Mix mayo, onion & garlic powders, honey, and lemon juice until well-combined.   Set aside.

Mix chicken, celery, fruit and nuts.  Dress with dressing.  Let chill for several hours.   Serve as a salad on a bed of lettuce, a sandwich, or a lettuce wrap.


No comments:

Post a Comment