Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Parsnip and Spinach Soup Dijon

 

OK, getting back to soups.  I ended up frying two turkeys and make the stock yesterday.  Needless to say, I've got a boatload of stock and I need to get into soup-gear.

I've said before that everytime I post a soup, I always say this is one of my favorites, so I decided to start dividing them into categories (chicken noodle, split pea, etc.)  So I would have to put this into my "Elegant Dinner Soup" category.  And it would be #1.

I don't know when or where I found this recipe.  It was certainly in my early cooking days as the recipe is typed on a lined index card (remember typewriters?)  I'm still surprised I even tried it as, at the time, I had never heard of a parsnip.  But I was in the mode of stepping outside of my 60's Oklahoma menus and venturing into new culinary challenges.  I couldn't believe how delicious they were, especially in this soup.

For me, this is a meal in itself.  Simply serve with a lovely, crusty baquette or Ciabatta bread, or a favorite artisan bread.  You'll feel like you've dined at San Simeon or the Biltmore in Asheville.

PARSNIP and SPINACH SOUP DIJON (makes 2 quarts)

1 lb peeled and sliced parsnips
1 large sliced onions
1 large sliced celery stick
1 peeled and cubed russet potato
4 cups chicken/turkey/vegetable stock
2 cups fresh spinach
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 cup cream
S&P to taste
parsley leaves for garnish, optional
lemon wedges for garnish, optional

Cook parsnips, onion, celery, and potato in stock for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Add spinach.

Puree mixture in blender.

Return to stock pot.  Stir in mustard.  Mix in cream.  Add S&P to taste.  Serve hot or chilled.

Garnish with parsley and/or lemon wedges, if desired.

See Recipe @ Mr.Food.com (Parsnip and Spinach Cream Soup)

No comments:

Post a Comment