Sunday, December 28, 2014

Quinoa Pilaf with Shiitake Mushrooms, Carrots, and Pecans


WOW!  I just had the easiest Christmas ever.  A company Jim works with sent us a delicious Smithfield ham (thank you Mackson!), I made our favorite Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses (see 12-16-11 post), Brussels sprouts, Benson's Special Salad (12-17-14, which I prepped the asparagus, green beans, and dressing the day before), the wonderful Rosemary and Salt rolls from Fresh Market, and that incredibly easy and delicious Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (12-1-14).  And thanks to Markson, I've still got plenty of ham (which is yummy all by itself).  I know I'll be make my favorite Brown Sugar Ham and Bean Crock Pot Soup (1-11-12), but I'd like to find some new recipes to share.

But to today's post.  I baked some salmon last night for dinner and had not had quinoa in quite a while.  I found this recipe on-line and opted to try it.  Oh YES!  Absolutely delish!  Now it calls for Shiitake mushrooms, but I had some button mushrooms which needed to find a home, so I substituted them with a perfect outcome.  I'm anxious to make it again with the Shiitakes.  This one's a keeper.

QUINOA PILAF with SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS, CARROTS, and PECANS (4 servings as a side dish, 2 as a main course)

1 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed or rinsed
1 2/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
3 Tbsp EVOO, divided
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2 small carrots, peeled and diced
3/4 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp minced garlic
S&P
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted if desired
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low, cover and simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 15 minutes.

In the meantime, heat 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften, 2-3 minutes.  Add the carrots and thyme and cook until the carrots are just tender, 5-7 minutes.  Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil, along with mushrooms and garlic.  Cook, stirring constantly, until mushrooms are cooked through, a few minutes.  Season vegetables with S&P to taste.

Add cooked quinoa to vegetables and stir in pecans and chopped parsley.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  Serve hot or warm.

Recipe Source: www.onceuponachef.com



No comments:

Post a Comment