Monday, December 15, 2014

Spinach-Mushroom Scrambled Eggs



Good Holiday Season, friends!

Once again, please forgive my absence.  My circadian rhythm has gone all wonky and am I very slowly trying to adapt to my new low-gear speed of life.  I have always loved staying up late at night and getting up early in the morning, with a power-nap in the afternoon.  I would  generally get 4-5 hours of sleep, 6 was sleeping in.   Over the last several months, I've started sleeping 8-10 hours and when I do get up, it takes me at least an hour to get moving.

This couldn't have come at the worse time of the year.  Thank goodness it will be just Jim and I and The Girls over Christmas.  I'm getting things done, just at a much slower pace!

So......now that I am slowly adapting to my new speed, I'm back in the kitchen (it doesn't help that I made so much soup over the last week or two, it's all I've been eating).  I have a couple of salads I'm looking forward to experimenting with.

But first, here's a great and easy idea for a Christmas breakfast.   You can easily  change and/or add ingredients.  I'll post it the way I found it, but chop up some tomatoes and you've got a red and green Christmas scramble.  Change the cheese (I used Swiss), but a smoked provolone, cheddar, Mozz, Italian or Mexican blend would work beautifully.  Or put a Greek twist on it by adding feta.

SPINACH-MUSHROOM SCRAMBLED EGGS (2 servings)

2 eggs
2 egg whites (or one small container of Egg Beaters)
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp butter
1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (4-6 button mushrooms, depending on size)
1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped (or 1/3 cup frozen, thawed, squeezed dry)
shredded provolone cheese

In a small bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, S&P until blended.  In a small nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat.  Add mushrooms; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender.  Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted.  Reduce heat to medium.

Add egg mixture; cook and stir just until eggs are thickened to your liking.  Stir in cheese.

Recipe Source: Taste of Home, December 2014, p. 36

No comments:

Post a Comment