Thursday, December 10, 2015

Beef Stew




As with the chili (see yesterday's post), if you're a beef stew lover, you probably have your own recipe.  So this post is for me.  You see, Jim's comment on this was "this reminds me of what I used to eat."  Good enough for me (he did go back for seconds....a good sign).

I used my Ninja 4-in-1 for this (browning the meat on the stovetop setting, then turning it to the crock pot setting).  So I'm going to list this as a crock pot recipe.  Adjust if you're using strictly stovetop or slow cooker.

BEEF STEW (6 servings)

1 1/2 lb stew meat (cubes found in the meat section, or chuck roast, or London broil...I used London broil), but into bite-sized cubes
1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp S&P (I used Crazy Salt)
EVOO
1/2 large onion, cut into chunks
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
about 10 button mushrooms, halved
1-2 ribs celery, depending on size, cut into chunks
3 tsp garlic
2 cups beef broth
14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tsp marjoram
3/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 large or two small bay leaves
(green peas....I would have added at the last few minutes if I had them)

 Heat skillet until hot.  Add olive oil and bring to heat.

In a plastic produce bag, add flour, paprika, and S&P.  Add stew meat (I did this in three batches) and shake to coat.  After each coating, add to skillet to brown meat.  Remove meat to plate.

In the crock pot,  layer the onions and carrots.  Top this with browned meat. Then top with the celery and garlic.  Add beef broth.  Add the tomatoes, wine, marjoram, thyme, salt, and bay leaf.

Cook in the crock pot for 8-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high until beef cubes are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment