Thursday, December 3, 2015

Golden Baked Onions




OK.....I first acknowledge this is not my photo!!!  I made these for Thanksgiving and forgot to take a photo.

I must say, you have to be an aficionado of onions to make this recipe.  And I am.  Any recipe calling for onions, I add extra.  My favorite pizza? Onion, onion, onion, and tomato (the best I've ever had is at Iriana's in Little Rock, AR).  My favorite onion (used almost exclusively) is the sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla Walla, Texas 1015).  I should start an onion trivia game.

This recipe calls for "brown onions."  I'd never heard of that.  But comments below the original recipe asked "Does this mean yellow onions or shallots?" with a resounding "NO!...it means brown onions."   But further searching had people saying that yellow onions are also called brown onions.  So that's what I used (while a sweet onion would have been just as good.)

It was a nice addition to the Thanksgiving table.  Leftovers heated up nicely and were just as good as freshly baked.

GOLDEN BAKED ONIONS  (6 servings)

6 brown onions, peeled and halved
1 Tbsp EVOO
S&P
1 cup (250 ml) regular or heavy cream
1 Tbsp thyme leaves
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup (50 g) finely grated regular or smoked mozzarella
1/2 cup (50 g) finely grated Gruyere (or Swiss or smoked provolone)

Preheat oven to 350F (180C).  Place the onions, cut-side up, in a greased baking dish.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with S&P.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.  Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes or until just starting to brown.  Combine the cream, thyme, mustard, and cheeses and spoon over the onions.  Bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until the onions are golden.

NOTE:  I did the first 1 1/2 hours of baking ahead of time (earlier that day) and then finished the last two baking steps when baking the dressing.

Recipe adapted from: http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/golden-baked-onions

No comments:

Post a Comment