Thursday, January 14, 2016

Coconut Red Lentil Peanut Soup


I've had so much fun going through previously-posted recipes, but there are just too many to re-post in a week or two.  So I've decided to pick out my favorites/most repeated recipes the first week of each month.

So I'm back to new recipes and this being soup-season (if you forget the awful 70 degrees Christmas period) I ran across this coconut milk-based soup which is like an African peanut/chicken soup/entree.  For me, if coconut milk is involved, I'm going to love it.

I'm posting this recipe as I found it, although I did make some changes (I made it last week and unfortunately lost my notes) of which I'll put, to the best of my recollection, my changes in parentheses.....I wanted to cut the recipe down so we wouldn't have so much. Also, I like a thicker soup so I cut down on some of the broth.

COCONUT RED LENTIL PEANUT SOUP (6 servings)

2 tsp EVOO
1 medium yellow onion, minced (1/2 sweet onion, diced)
2 bell peppers, diced (1 red pepper, diced)
2 medium carrots, diced (2 small carrots, diced)
1-2" piece ginger, minced (1")
3 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
1-2 red chilies, minced (2 oz diced green chiles)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (1/4-1/2 tsp.....to taste, start with 1/4, add more if necessary)
1 tsp smoked paprika (1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (1/4 tsp)
1/2 tsp turmeric (1/4 tsp)
2 small yams, diced, about 2 cups (1 medium sweet potato)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (1 {14 oz} can)
4 cups stock (any kind) or water (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
1 cup red lentils (3/4 cup)
1/4 cup peanut butter (3-4 Tbsp)
1 (15 oz) can coconut milk (3/4 of a can of light coconut milk)
1/2 cup roughly chopped kale
Roasted peanuts for garnish, optional

Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is quite brown, about 10 minutes. Add the bell peppers, carrots, ginger and garlic and cook until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the red chilies, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin and turmeric and let the spices cook for 1 minute.

Add the yams, diced tomatoes and the stock or water and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let the pot simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.  

Stir in the red lentil and peanut butter and let the soup cook until the lentils are soft, about 10 minutes.  

Blend half the soup using a blender or hand-held immersion blender. If using a blender, add the blended soup back to the pot. Stir in the coconut milk and kale and let the kale wilt. Season to taste with sea salt.  Garnish with roasted peanuts.

Recipe Source: http://www.theendlessmeal.com/coconut-red-lentil-peanut-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment