Thursday, January 21, 2016

Kale Chips


OK, you may think I'm way behind on food trends but honestly, I really have tried this trendy treat some time ago with abysmal results.  I even ordered them in a restaurant with less than a stellar review.  So, quite frankly, I wrote these off as an aberration.  

And then a few weeks ago a ran across a new food blog (for me) in which one of the recipes was for kale chips.  I just so happened to have a bunch of kale which was going to be put down the garbage disposal so I decided to try them one more time.  And then I discovered the three major mistakes I had made:

1. Too much oil.
2. Too high of a temperature.
3. Too thick layering of the kale.

So this is what I did:

Bunch of kale (don't buy the chopped-up stuff.....buy the full bunch of kale).  Remove the thick spine, leaving only the leaves
EVOO
Kosher (or sea) salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put the leaves in a large mixing bowl.  Lightly drizzle olive oil over the chips and then massage the oil into all the crooks and nannies of the leaves.  Sprinkle salt over leaves.

Layer the leaves single layer on a baking sheet.

Bake for 10 minutes and then rotate pan.  Bake another 10-13 minutes.  Remove tray from oven and let the chips stay on the hot pan for a few minutes to further crisp.

A few notes:  See the link below for a beef-up version of these chips.  Also, these will remarkably stay crisp in an airtight container (I use Lock&Locks).  This may be because when I made them before I used too much oil and stacked the leaves instead of laying them in a single layer.  BIG difference.

Recipe Source:  http://www.healthy-liv.com/perfectly-crispy-seasoned-kale-chips/

P.S.  These chips will leave little green bits twixt your teeth.  In other words, these are not good before first-date or job interview choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment