Monday, May 30, 2011

Coconut Oatmeal Chewies

OK, I did a great big experiment with these cookies.  Now, I really don't have a sweet tooth, but to me a cookie has to have nuts!  And experience says they need chocolate.  Well, these treats have neither.  But being a person really into texture in food, coconut and oatmeal are natural go-tos.  I did two separate batches.  In the first, I added about an extra 1/4-1/2 cup of flour since these cookies tend to spread alot.  In the second batch, I adhered to the recipe, but added 5 oz of cinnamon chips.  I don't know where you live, but here in TN you cannot find Hershey's Cinnamon Chips.  I think the last bag I bought was, actually, in Hershey, PA.  And I think I found them in MN.  I don't know if it's a regional thing or what.


I cannot tell you which batch I liked better.  But I have to admit the cinnamon chips were a neat addition.  In fact, I might try these again and add ground cinnamon to the batter (and the chips if I can find them).  You could really get creative with this recipe.

COCONUT OATMEAL CHEWIES (makes about 4 dozen)


1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup quick oats

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream sugars, butter, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).  Add dry ingredients until combined.  Drop by tablespoon (about 20 grams) onto lightly greased or lined (parchment paper or Silpat) baking sheet.  Bake for 9-11 minutes until set but not overly browned (bake a few minutes more for a crispier version).

No comments:

Post a Comment