Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fish Tacos

The other day, my neighbor and I went to lunch at J. Alexander's.  I ordered fish tacos which have become a favorite of mine, no matter the restaurant, but theirs are particularly good.  They do fry their fish, so in order to lighten it up a bit, I broiled mine.  Grilling would also be good.  I found a copy-cat recipe on-line for their chili mayonnaise, so I used reduced-fat mayo to further lighten it.  There are so many different ingredients you could put in these and not go wrong (like arugula!).  J. A's puts a big slice of ripe avocado on top, but Jim won't eat plain avocados, so I spread the warmed tortilla with guacamole.  This is what I used this time (this made four tacos):

FISH TACOS

4 corn tortillas, warmed
2 (4-5 oz) tilapia filets (J.A's uses grouper, cod, halibut, or haddock) broiled, grilled, or fried
cabbage and shredded carrots (I used cole slaw mix)
1-2 green onions, thinly sliced
chili mayonnaise (1/4 cup mayo, 1 tsp (or to taste) chili-garlic sauce, scant 1 tsp lemon (J.A's drizzles this on top of the tacos, I simply dressed the cole slaw mix with this)
Avocado slices or guacamole

Assemble the tacos however you like.  As I said, I spread guacamole on the torts, then added the fish, dressed cole slaw/green onions.  I served this with seasoned black beans and rice.

(NOTE:  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have fixed my spacing problems.....it will look so much better and easier to copy and paste over to a word processing system to be able to print the recipes.  If anyone out there can tell me how to insert a link to automatically print recipes from this blog, I'd love your help!  But please do keep in mind, I have turned into my mother when it comes to technology!)

No comments:

Post a Comment