Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Go-To Summer Salad

OK, I now have an official go-to summer side salad.  Holy Smokes!  This is good.  And as if it couldn't get any better, you could add a grilled chicken breast to make this an entree.  Absolutely delicious.  This will definitely be on our table a couple of times a week.  Try it.  You will not be disappointed.

GO-TO SUMMER SALAD (serves 2)

1 head lettuce (I used Romaine)
thinly sliced red onion (to taste)
11 oz can mandarin oranges (I didn't have enough juice from my orange to make the dressing, so I used the mandarin orange juice to make up the difference)  and I only used half of the oranges for two salads
6 oz slivered almonds
4-5 Tbsp sugar

DRESSING:

1 tsp grated orange peel
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp Good Seasoning Dry Italian Dressing mix
1 cup canola oil (I'll use 3/4 cup next time, this was a bit oily for me)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar

Heat a large non-stick saute pan on medium heat (I used #6 on my smooth-top stove) until hot.  Add almond and sugar and stir continuously until sugar melts.  I poured mine out on some Reynolds Non-Stick Aluminum Paper (you can use regular aluminum foil, sprayed with cooking spray).  Let cool.  You will not use all the almonds in this salad for two.  Put remaining almonds in a humidity-free container and store in frig or freezer.

Combine salad dressing ingredients.

Toss diced lettuce, onions, oranges, and almonds.  Dress with dressing.  If using as an entree salad, slice chicken and fan out.  Serve as a side salad or entree salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment