Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Potatoes with Ham and Cheese

I had bought a ham around Easter when they were on sale, but just got around to using it the other day. I'm working on using it all (which isn't easy to do with just two of us) so I can get to that bone and make that awesome ham and brown sugar soup again! Doing an on-line search, I ran across this recipe at http://www.southernfood.about.com/. It sounded like the basic ham, potato, cheese casserole but I needed something.

WOW! This stuff is good! When I first made the white sauce, I thought I would need to adjust the worcestershire and seasonings.....it tasted a bit off just by itself. But then I baked it in the casserole and YUMMMM!!!! The recipe I'm listing below says it serves 6-8. I cut it in half and Jim and I ate the entire thing and wanted for more! I'll make the entire recipe next go around! These would be some good leftovers!!!

POTATOES WITH HAM AND CHEESE (serves 6-8)

4 cups diced potatoes (I did a small dice, maybe 1/4" or less)
2 cups chopped green onions
5 Tbsp butter
5 Tbsp flour
2 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp prepared yellow mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp chopped pimiento
2 cups shredded cheddar
2 cups diced ham (I did a small dice here, too, 1/4" or less)
1/2 cup plain soft bread crumbs
3-4 Tbsp butter, cut in small pieces

In a saucepan, cook potatoes and onions together in lightly salted water until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain. To make white sauce melt 5 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour, stirring until blended. Cook, stirring, and gradually stir in milk. Add Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, and pimiento. Cook, stirring, until thick. Place half of the cooked potatoes and onions in a larged buttered 3 quart baking dish. Cover potatoes with half of the cheese. Spread all of the ham on the cheese. Cover with remaining potatoes.

Pour the cooked seasoned white sauce over all. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. (This next step I omitted.) Sprinkle with bread crumbs and then dot with butter. Bake in preheated 350 oven until cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment