Tuesday, May 10, 2011

German Chocolate Cake






OK, let me first say that the traditional German Chocolate Cake is never frosted all the way around, but in between layers. But, I'm not a good baker and I have a 50/50 chance of my layers coming out nicely from the pans. So the frosting is my camouflage to cover up the clumps of cake left in the pan. And generally, in an attempt to lower fat/calories (is this even possible with a German Chocolate Cake?) I usually just use half of the icing. Not in this one. I use it all. Every little bit and just keep my fingers crossed that there's even enough to cover the flaws.




One thing I learned from working at the restaurant in Minnesota (this woman was, really, a master baker) was that you never used a cake mix (there is only one Bundt cake I make using a mix). Everything she made came from scratch. I have been making this cake for as long as I can remember....it comes from the "Joy of Cooking" and I can tell you, even though I do not have a sweet tooth, making from scratch makes all the difference and even I will indulge in this one. This is the lightest, airiest cake I have ever eaten.


GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE



This recipe is repeated as shown in the "Joy of Cooking" 2006, p. 719



Have all ingredients at room temperature, about 70 degrees. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour three 8x2" or 9x2" round cake pans or line the bottoms with waxed paper (I use the cooking spray that has both canola oil and flour).



Whisk together until thoroughly blended:

2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt



Combine in a small bowl and stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth:

4 oz sweet baking chocolate, finely chopped

1/2 cup boiling water (I use strong coffee or espresso)



Stir in:

1 tsp vanilla


Have ready:

1 cup buttermilk or sour cream



Beat in a large bowl until creamy, about 30 seconds:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter



Gradually add and beat on high speed until light and fluffly, 4-6 minutes:

1 3/4 cups sugar



Beat in one at a time:

4 egg yolks



On low speed, add the melted chocolate and beat just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk or sour cream in 2 parts, beating until smooth and scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as necesssary.



Using clean beaters, beat in a large bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form (I put a stainless steel bowl and the beaters in the freezer for a few minutes):

4 egg whites

1/4 tsp cream of tartar



Gradually add, beating on high speed:

1/4 cup sugar



Beat until the peaks are stiff but not dry. Use a rubber spatula to fold one-quarter of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the remaining whites. Divide the batter amont the pans and spread evenly.



Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes in 9" pans, 30-35 minutes in 8" pans. Cool pans on wire racks for about 15 minutes, run a butter knife or plastic spatula around the rims to loosen and then invert onto racks to remove. Let cool completely.




COCONUT PECAN FILLING



Combine in a medium saucepan:

1 cup sugar

1 cup evaporated milk, heavy cream, and half-and-half

3 large egg yolks

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces



Cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until the mixture is thickened and bubbling gently around the edges. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in:
1 1/3 cup flaked sweetened dried coconut

1 1/3 cup pecan pieces



Let cool until spreadable. This keeps, refrigerated, for about 1 week. Soften at room temperature before spreading.




No comments:

Post a Comment