Saturday, June 11, 2011

Baked Swai

Have you ever heard of Swai?  I hadn't, and I thought that if I had not eaten every kind of fish and seafood out there, I was sure I had at least heard of them.  Wrong!  And of all places to find this new catch?  Wal-Mart in Chattanooga, TN!

So, the bag says "mild, flaky white fish."  Sounded kinda like tilapia, which we each quite frequently, so I picked up a bag.  I looked on-line for a very simple recipe because I wanted to taste the fish, not  the sauce or coating. 

We weren't disapppointed at all.  Loved it!  I found it to be quite similar to tilapia.  I've since learned more about Swai on-line.  While I really liked this recipe, I will be trying it other ways, but we'll definitely be coming back to this one.  And compared to prices on so many other seafood varieties, this is a steal.  I think I bought a two pound bag for under $7.

I'm listing the recipe I found (www.fredmeyers.com) in the amounts they listed, but I only used 2 fillets (about 4 oz each), less olive oil,  and I used Panko breadcrumbs instead of that other stuff.  I used an 8x8 baking dish, and my baking time was a few minutes shorter since my fillets were smaller.  I served this with brown rice and that wonderful Green Salad with Orange Dressing (see previous post "Go-To Summer Salad" posted on May 31st). 

BAKED SWAI (4 servings)


1 Tbsp butter
4 Swai fillets, about 6 oz each
3 Tbsp EVOO, divided
1 cup breadcrumbs, plain
S&P
Lemon

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly butter 13x9 baking dish.  Brush Swai fillets on both sides with EVOO.  Season with S&P.  Dredge in breadcrumbs on both sides.  Arrange fillets in pan.

Drizzle 1 tsp EVOO over each fillet.  Bake until cooked through, 12-15 minutes.

Turn oven to broil.  Broil until crust is golden, watching closely to avoid burning, about 2 minutes.  Transfer to plates, squeeze lemon over top, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment