Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chicken Lo Mein


Oh YUMMM!!!  This is such a great recipe!  And talk about versatile....it will be so easy to change this around.  As usual, I made the recipe as I found it, but I will definitely be adding some (LOTS!) of sweet onion next time.  When I order lo mein in a restaurant, I usually just get vegetable LM, with extra onions!  This would be a great meat-less Monday dish, or you could certainly substitute shrimp or pork.  Also, this recipe calls for uncooked chicken, but I had some leftover chicken from the Beer Can chicken, so I just put the soy and cornstarch on the cooked chicken, simply adding the chicken with the cooked vegetables.  And one more huge plus I found out by mistake:  We lost power just before I was ready to start cooking.  I had everything ready to go, so I simply wrapped it all up and cooked it the next night.  Talk about make-ahead meal!  The ingredients sat for 24 hours and it still came out wonderfully. And the leftovers are wonderful!

CHICKEN LO MEIN (approximately 4 servings)

1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, sliced very thinly (I used about 8 oz cooked)

Marinade:
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

Sauce:
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp beef broth
1 Tbsp granulated sugar

8 oz linguine or lo mein noodles, prepared to al dente
1 tsp sesame oil

1/4 cup canola oil (I used about 2 Tbsp)
1 clove garlic, chopped (heaping tsp for me)
1 large carrot, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1/2 cup chopped cabbage, such as Napa (I used cole slaw mix)
1 cup sliced mushroom (more for me next time)
1-2 cups bean sprouts (2 for me)
3 green onions, sliced in 1" segments, white and green parts
Salt to taste

Combine marinade ingredients with the chicken and allow to sit for 20 minutes.  While the chicken is marinating, prepare the remaining ingredients.

In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, soy sauce, beef broth, and sugar,  Set aside.

Boil noodles as per package instructions.  Drain the noodles and toss with the sesame oil.

Heat a wok (or large frying pan) over medium-high heat.  Add the oil, heat, then add chicken.  Stir fry chicken until cooked, about 5 minutes.  Remove from wok and set aside.

Add another Tablespoon of oil to the wok if needed.  When the oil is hot, add the garlic.  Stir fry until garlic begins to brown (don't burn!!!), then add the carrots.  Stir fry for about one minutes, then add the cabbage and mushrooms (I cooked all vegetables at the same time since I had prepared them the night before).  Cook for about 2 more minutes.  Add the noodles, bean sprouts, and green onions and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Add the sauce to the wok.  Return the chicken to the pan.  Mix everything together and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment