Tuesday, July 12, 2011

BBQ Chicken


I have never barbecued a chicken.  Ever.  I have tunnel vision when it comes to chicken on the grill, I don't think I've ever grilled anything other than skinless-boneless chicken breasts.  I ran across an article on chicken the other day and it just looked so good.  Any why not?  The bone naturally enhances the flavor and the skin helps seal in the juices.  And you don't have to eat the skin.  Just peel it off for wonderfully-flavored and juicy meat.  Or maybe sneak in just a bit of the crispiness in a few bites.  However you do it, it comes out wonderfully.

There's really not a recipe here.  For half a chicken, I mixed 1 Tbsp each of paprika and chili powder, along with a tsp of kosher salt.  I very lightly rubbed some canola oil on each piece and then covered it with the rub.  We have a large, standing George Foreman grill.  I turned it to #5 and let it come to temperature.  The breast takes about 10 minutes longer than the thigh, leg, and wing so I started that first, about 5 minutes on each side.  Then I turned the temp down to #4 and put on the other three pieces for about another 15 minutes, turning about every 5 minutes until the internal temperature reached about 165.  I then brushed on some prepared barbecue sauce on each piece and let it cook about another 5 minutes until the temp reached 170.

I still have half of the chicken leftover from last night and will be using it in a pasta salad tonight.  I love leftover chicken, especially during these horribly hot, humid summer days!

No comments:

Post a Comment