Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chili Lime Chicken Kabobs


Still grill season!  Thanks goodness for the grill.  I can't even imagine turning on the oven in this heat.


I had made the quinoa salad and since we had just had fish the night before, I went with chicken this time.  I needed something other than just a grilled chicken breast.  I hadn't grilled vegetables this year and came across a kabob recipe.  I love grilled vegetables and don't know how they just slipped my mind! 


Now generally, I will grilled the meat and vegetables separately since they tend to need different cooking times.  But I put everything on one skewer just so I would have a better photo.  And these all actually came out just perfect.  I cut the chicken a bit differently than the original recipe and changed the vegetables a bit.  But the seasoning was just right.  A great meal for this stiffling weather.


CHILI LIME CHICKEN KABOBS  (serves 2-3)


3/4 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes, about 1 1/4"
1/2 sweet red pepper, cut into about 1 1/2" squares
1/2 sweet onion, cut into about 1 1/2" cubes
about 6 button mushrooms, halved or quartered, depending on the size


Marinade:
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 lime juiced (2 Tbsp)
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion salt
1 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper


In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and lime juice.  Stir in spices.  In two shallow dishes, places chicken in one the vegetables in the other and pour the marinade over each.  Marinade for 4-6 hours or even overnight.


Preheat grill to medium heat (I used #4 on the George Foreman grill).  Thread chicken, pepper, mushrooms, and onion on to metal skewers (if using wooden, soak in water for about 20 minutes) and discard the marinade.  Grill skewers, turning occassionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until juices run clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment