Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Cucumbers


The cucumbers are ready!  We have just one vine, but we are going to have so many cucumbers, we'll be sick of them by the end of summer!

I love cucumbers, but only the small, pickling variety.  They're so crisp and sweet and so full of flavor.  Ever since I can remember, Mom always had cukes on the table at dinner time during the summer.  And always served the same way...in an ice bath with thick slices of sweet, garden onions.    And then back in '97 or '98, Lis shared the mayo-based recipe which came from Taste of Home.  For sentimental reasons (and for I-love-onions reasons), I guess the first will always be my favorite.  But I can also go through an entire bowl of the others all by myself.

MOM'S SUMMER CUCUMBERS

3 pickling cucumbers, medium-thick slices
thick-sliced sweet onions

Marinade:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
about 5 ice cubes

CREAMY CUCUMBERS

peeled and very thinly slices cucumbers (I use a mandolin)
Dressing:
1/2 cup mayo
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp sugar
1/8 t salt
fresh dill, chopped

Whisk together.  Add cucumbers.  Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment