Sunday, July 3, 2011

Turkey Meatloaf


I don't think I've ever used the same meatloaf twice, and I know I'll keep making different ones just depending on what I happen to have in the refrigerator.  This time, I happened to have just 8 ounces of frozen turkey breast, and a bunch of veggies, including about 4 ounces of whole button mushrooms which had just a few days of life left in them.    I obviously adjusted amounts in this recipe to accomodate the 8 ounces of turkey.  I'll list the original amount as listed at www.Epicurious.com, and in parentheses the amount I used.

Since I had such a small loaf, I used a small 8"x3 3/4"x2 3/8" disposable aluminum loaf pan.  This came out to just the right size for the two of us.  And instead of the usual ketchup or BBQ sauce topping, I used a roasted red pepper sauce which was a really nice difference.  I love Ajvar by itself, as a dip for little toast squares, and I'll definitely be using it on meatloaf again.

Substituting the turkey breast, skim milk,  Egg Beaters, and Ajvar really keeps this as a much lighter fat/calorie version of traditional meatloaf, but it's still moist and full of flavor.  I used a thermometer until the center reached 170, my small loaf took about one hour.

TURKEY MEATLOAF

1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (1/2 cup)
1 Tbsp minced garlic (1/2 Tbsp)
1 tsp olive oil (1/2 tsp)
1 medium carrot, cut into 1/8" diced (1 small carrot)
3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, trimmed and very finely chopped in a food processor (4 ounces white mushrooms)
1 tsp salt (1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp black pepper (1/4 tsp)
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (3/4 tsp)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (2 1/2 Tbsp)
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp ketchup, divided (1 1/2 Tbsp)
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs from 2 slices of firm white sandwich bread (1/3-1/2 cup Panko)
1/3 cup 1% milk (2 1/2 Tbsp skim)
1 whole large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 1/4 pound ground turkey, mix of light and dark meat (8 oz ground turkey breast)

(The following instructions are for the original amount of ingredients listed in the recipe.)

Preheat oven to 400.

Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened, about 2 minutes.  Add carrot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add mushrooms, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and they are very tender, 10-15 minutes.  Stir in Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 3 Tbsp ketchup, then transfer vegetables to a large bowl and cool.

Stir together bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl and let stand 5 minutes.  Stir in egg and egg white, then add to vegetables.  Add turkey and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to vegetable mixture and mix well with your hands (mixture will be very moist).

Form into a 9x5" oval loaf in a lightly oiled 13x9x2" metal baking pan and brush meatloaf evenly with remaining 2 Tbsp ketchup.  Bake in middle of oven until thermometer inserted into meatloaf registers 170, 50-55 minutes. 

Let meatloaf stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment