Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chicken Salad w/Pine Nuts and Feta






OMG!!!  This salad was absolutely delicious.  I'm not sure what it was, I'm just grateful I have some leftovers in the frig!

OK, a couple of things.  I will list this recipe as I found it in "Cooking Club Summer 2012," however, I made a few changes.  It calls for "rotisserie chicken."  Just so happens our local market (Publix) had their "Mojo" rotisserie chicken on sale (they have different flavors: BBQ, Lemon Pepper, etc).  I really didn't know what Mojo chicken was, but what the heck.  Boy, did I hit the jackpot!  Apparently, Mojo is Cuban-inspired, although no two recipes for marinade I found were the same.

Also, the recipe calls for serving this chicken salad alone.  But I went ahead and tossed some chopped romaine in the vinaigrette to serve as a bed for the chicken.  It made a wonderful, complete entree salad.  Speaking of vinaigrette, I had some of my favorite Julia Child's Basic Vinaigrette on hand, so I used that instead (both vinaigrette recipes are listed below).

As I was eating and savoring this salad, it occurred to me that, could it be?!!!!!.....it could be even better by very lightly drizzling some truffle oil on it.  Oh MY!!!!

CHICKEN SALAD with PINE NUTS AND FETA  (About 6 servings)

Dressing:
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 Tbsp EVOO

Salad:
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
1 seedless cucumber, unpeeled, chopped (2 1/2 cups) (I used pickling cucumbers)
2 cups halved cherry or grape tomatoes
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted (toast in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, or microwave on high 45 seconds, stir, again, until they start to brown)
Romaine lettuce, chopped, using as a bed for the chicken salad (lightly dress with salad dressing)

Whisk all salad ingredients except oil in small bowl; slowly whisk in oil.

Toss all salad ingredients except pine nuts in large bowl with enough dressing to coat.  Sprinkle with pine nuts.

JULIA CHILD'S BASIC VINAIGRETTE

Whisk together:

1/2 Tbsp finely minced shallot
1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1/3-1/2 cup EVOO
freshly ground black pepper     

No comments:

Post a Comment