Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Farro Vegetable Salad


My friend, Donna, sent me a HUGE batch of my favorite grain, farro.  It's kinda hard to find around here.....I can always find it on-line in a pinch, but Donna spends a lot of time in Texas, home of CENTRAL MARKET.....a foodie's dream!  This is grain a bit chewier than wheatberries and with texture a huge part of my dining experience, this is at the top of my list.

This is my favorite farro recipe (the arugula sends it over the top).  It's a great side dish (I served it with grilled Swai and broccoli), but also made a delicious midnight snack!  I go to this recipe over and over, but decided I needed to expand my farro repertoire, so I have half a dozen other farro recipes I plan on experimenting with over the next few weeks.  I'll share the good ones with you!

FARRO VEGETABLE SALAD

1/2 large tomato (three thick slices), diced
1 1/2 cups cooked farro (see note)
1/4 cup chopped arugula, or more to taste
about 2 small pickling cucumber, diced

Mint Vinaigrette:

2 Tbsp EVOO
1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp red wine veingar
1 tsp minced fresh mint
2 tsp honey
S&P

Mix farro, tomato, arugula, and cucumbers.  Toss with vinaigrette.

NOTE:  To get about 1 1/2 cups of cooked farro, start with 1/2 cup raw farro.  Bring 1 1/2 cups of salted water to a boil.  Add the uncooked farro, bring back to a boil.  Take off the heat.  Let sit, covered, for an hour.  Drain.  Bring another 1 1/2 cups of salted water to a boil, turn down to simmer (#2 on my electric cooktop).  Simmer about 30 minutes or until farro is still a bit firm to the bite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment