Thursday, July 19, 2012

Shrimp and Grits


I've posted this recipe once before, but it is just so good I had to remind you!  I combined several recipes and have come up with this which is absolutely delicious!  And I didn't think it was possible, but I really believe this is even better the second day.  I'm having leftovers for lunch right now.  I microwaved a small serving of the grits and the shrimp mixture (minus the shrimp) for about 45 seconds, then buried a couple of shrimp in the hot mixture (microwaving the shrimp would make them chewy).

The recipe below serves 2, but I think I'll be doubling it next time, for leftovers, you know?

SHRIMP & GRITS (Serves 2)

Grits:
1/2 cup half-and-half
1 cup water
3/4 cup shrimp stock (I boiled a handful of shrimp shells I had in the freezer for a minute in 3/4 cup water, then let sit, covered, until at room temp)
2 Tbsp butter
S&P
1/2 cup regular (not instant) grits (it may be hard to find regular grits....if so, adjust cooking time) 

Bring cream, water, and stock to a gentle boil.  Add butter and S&P.  Slowly add the grits, stirring very frequently.  Reduce heat.  Cook until done (no more than 20 minutes).

Shrimp Mixture:
1 Tbsp bacon grease
1 1/2 oz Italian sausage (I used mild), chopped small
1 green onion, thinly sliced
3/4 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 # shelled shrimp, sprinkled with lemon juice and S&P
1/2 small finely diced tomato
finely diced red pepper (optional)
1 oz ham, diced small
4 oz (1/4 cup) black-eyed peas
Fresh parsley, finely minced

In a large skillet, melt bacon grease.  Add Italian sausage, until cooked.  Remove sausage, add onion and garlic until just about done.  Add shrimp.  Stir until pink.  Add tomato (and pepper, if you like), ham, and black-eyed peas.  Put sausage back in to reheat.  Throw in some finely minced fresh parsley.  Stir until heated throughout.  Serve over grits.

Serving suggestions:
Fried green tomatoes
Field peas with snap beans
Baguette   

No comments:

Post a Comment