Monday, July 23, 2012

Egg in a Nest


Do you remember these?  Not being a big breakfast-food person, I hadn't thought of this in years.  Of course when Mom used to make these for me, it was mid- to late 60's and what did we use then?  White bread and margarine, of course!  I don't know how they ever held together.

Welcome to the 21st Century and host to all kinds of wonderful, hearty, whole-grain artisan breads!  What a difference it makes!  I've been using a 13 grain bread, but can't wait to try it with some rosemary in it.  And this little breakfast with a bit of fruit makes a meal substantial enough to get me to the gym.

EGG IN A NEST (1 serving)

1 slice whole-grain, artisan bread
1 large egg
room-temp butter
S&P

Use a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter and cut a whole in the center of the piece of bread.  Lightly butter each side of the bread, carefully from the center hole outside towards the edge so as not to tear the bread.  

In a pre-heated skillet (#4 for me on my glass-top stove) place the bread in the skillet to toast on one side.  Turn the bread and break an egg into the hole.  Now, I like a runny yolk, so I put a lid on the skillet and set my timer for two minutes.  At the one minute mark, I turn the heat off, but leave the skillet on the burner.  After the two minutes are up, I turn the bread/egg to the other side, pull the skillet off of the burner, and let it sit for one more minute.

Sprinkle with S&P.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment