Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Almond Lace Cookies


I have been on a real baking kick this week.  I guess I'm trying to make up for not cooking for Jim's office since he was working out-of-state for several months without coming home.  I'm trying to make one or two treats for him to take with him each week.

This was a recipe I found in Ladies' Home Journal years ago.  I love the thin, crispy wafers with the oatmeal giving it a chewiness and the snap of the almonds.  Again, just a handful of ingredients.  The recipe says this recipe will make about 4 dozen cookies, but I got 7 dozen out of my batch.  I'm not sure why the discrepancy but that's just more for a big office, right?

Since we're still in the humid summer months, I would keep these refrigerated.  Keeping them at room temp causes them to become pretty sticky.  But if you prefer a chewier treat, that's the route you should take.

ALMOND LACE COOKIES 

1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sliced almonds

Heat oven to 325F.  In a large bowl combine oats, sugar, flour, salt, and baking powder.  In a separate bowl whisk egg, butter, and vanilla, then add to the dry ingredients.  Add the almonds and stir until evenly distributed.

Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil; spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.  Drop level teaspoons of dough, 3" apart, on prepared sheet; flatten slightly.  Bake until golden brown 9-11 minutes.

Let cookies cool completely, then peel from the foil.  Repeat with remaining dough.  

Recipe Source:  Ladies' Home Journal, June 2002

1 comment:

  1. A great recipe I can't wait to try out. I love Almond Lace Cookies and those brave enough to try them! I wish more would.

    I came up with my own version of a Almond Lace Cookies, or as I sometimes call them, Broomstick cookies. While different from your own, I think mine is a unique take on the dish. I'm new to the Food Blog scene and would love some feedback from a pro like you. Check out my recipe if have time.

    http://persnicketypanhandler.blogspot.com/2014/01/almond-lace-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete