Saturday, August 24, 2013

Israeli Couscous Salad


This is the most often prepared pasta salad I make.  I enjoy every single element.  I serve it as a side salad or eat it as a snack.  It's a wonderful blend of texture and color and a contrast of the creamy feta and the tartness of the vinaigrette. 

When I first find this recipe years ago, it called for a basic vinaigrette for the dressing.  Some time ago, I started using "Garlic Expressions Vinaigrette" which I have found in several whole/natural food type markets.  It is found either in the produce department or with other salad dressings (it's wonderful on sliced tomatoes, on a Caprese salad, or even as a dressing on a sub sandwich).  I've made this salad using this dressing for so long, I don't think I would love it as much using a substitute! You can see the bottle or purchase the vinaigrete at  www.Garlic-Expressions.com.

ISRAELI COUSCOUS SALAD (serves 2-4)

1 cup Israeli couscous, cooked (1 cup uncooked couscous added to 2 cups of boiling water, turn down, and simmer for about 15 minutes until most or all of water is absorbed.  Drain and let cool.
3/4 cup shelled edamame (if edamame are still in the shells, use 6 oz, cook according to directions and remove from shells.....you can find shelled and unshelled edamame in your frozen or produce deparments)
1 small carrot (or 3-4 baby carrots), cut into small matchsticks
1 Tbsp freshly-chopped parsley
1/4 cup sliced black olives (or about 12 chopped Kalamata or oil-cured olives)
1/2 cup feta cheese (2-3 oz)
Basic garlic vinaigrette

Mix everything together.  I wait until serving time to add the dressing.

NOTE: I prefer oil-cured olives in my salad.  If I am going to have leftovers, I keep the olives separate.  Otherwise, the olives with "stain" the edamame and couscous.  This doesn't affect the flavor, but the presentation is not as pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment