Thursday, August 29, 2013

Golden Grahams S'mores


Right after chocolate chip cookies and a complete selection of every Jello dessert ever made (per may father when I was about age 11/12, "OK, that's enough of the Jello desserts"), this was one of the very first sweet treats I ever made as a pre-teen.  I had forgotten how much I loved that crunchiness of the cereal contrasting with the creaminess of the melted marshmellow and chocolate, but many decades later, it all came back to me.

I saw a recipe a few weeks ago for Brownie S'mores which reminded me of this fun treat.  I was sure I could find my original recipe in my very first cookbook, a collection of Church Ladies recipes a neighbor gave me when I was a young first.  But, alas, it wasn't there.  But I'm sure the internet recipe I found is, if the exact, pretty darn close to the one I used oh so many years ago.

Six ingredients and just about as many minutes and this is ready.  If you're sitting in the warm/humid/August weather as we are here in Chattanooga, you'll definitely want to keep these refrigerated or they'll turn a gooey mess in minutes.

GOLDEN GRAHAMS S'MORES

8 cups Golden Grahams cereal (12 oz box)
6 cups mini marshmellows (10 oz bag), divided
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup light corn syrup
5 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla

Butter a 13x9" pan.  In a large bowl, measure cereal.  In a large microwavable bowl, microwave 5 cups marshmellows, the chocolate chips, corn syrup, and butter uncovered for High for 2-3 1/2 seconds, stirring every one minute, until melted and smooth when stirred.  Stir in vanilla.

Pour chocolate mixture over cereal; quickly toss until completely coated.  Stir in one cup marshmellows.

Press mixture evenly into pan, using buttered back of spoon or spatula.  Let stand uncovered at least one hour, or refrigerate if you prefer a firmer bar.  For bars, cut into rows vertically and horizontally, into whatever size you like.  In warmer weather, keep bars loosely covered (with waxed paper in between if you are stacking them) in the refrigerated, or at room temperature during the cooler months.

Recipe Source: www.bettycrocker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment