Monday, August 12, 2013

Southwestern Caesar Salad with Spicy Shrimp


Hi Everyone!  Thanks for your patience!

After a few days of a wee bit of over-indulgence, I felt I needed to get back on track tonight.  I didn't want to make a trip to the store so I pulled out this recipe for which I had everything on hand.  Just a few ingredients, quick, and easy-peasy.

You know I love my roasted shrimp and here's a bit of a twist.  With just a touch of chili powder, my favorite shrimp was easily transformed.  The shrimp alone will make a great meal.  And even though it's August and I hate turning on the oven, these roasted shrimp only took about 3-4 minutes.

Next time I will use those beautiful tri-colored tortilla strips I can find in packages in my local produce department, just to add a bit of color.  I used large (21/25) shrimp and only used five per serving.  A perfect, light dinner for these hot, humid, nearing-the-end-of summer days.

SOUTHWESTERN CAESAR SALAD with SPICY SHRIMP (4 servings)

4 corn tortillas (5")
2 tsp EVOO
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
S&P
3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup light mayo
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced or 1 tsp anchovy paste
1 large head romaine lettuce (1 1/2#), cut into 1" pieces

Preheat oven to 375F.  Place tortillas on a baking sheet.  Brush both sides with 1 tsp oil; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp chili powder, and season with S&P.  Bake until golden brown and crisp, turning once, 8-10 minutes.  Let cool, then break into pieces.

Heat broiler.  In a large bowl, toss shrimp with remaining teaspoon each oil and chili powder.  Season with S&P.  Lay shrimp flat on a broiler pan, and cook until browned and opaque throughout, turning once, 3-4 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, lime juice, Parmesan, anchovies, and up to 2 Tbsp water to desired consistency.  Season with S&P.

To serve, toss lettuce with dressing.  Divide among plates and top each with shrimp and broken tortillas.  Garnish with more Parmesan.

Recipe Source:  "Everyday Food: Light" cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment