Friday, October 2, 2015

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies


I used to bake and send cookies, etc. to Jim's office.  But now that he's home, I'm finding that I have a backlog of sweet things that aren't being used.  So once again, I'm on a mission to declutter my pantry.

When I first ran across this recipe, I knew I would try it regardless.  But when it had butterscotch chips and chocolate chips (of which I had extras looking for a home), I knew it was next on my "To Make" list.

I have to say, I'm generally a nut-cookie girl.  While I'm not a big sweet fan, if I'm going to have a cookie, it must have nuts (usually double what a recipe calls for).  So you can imagine my surprise when this nut-less cookie came out so well for me.  The oats give it a wonderful chewiness and the combo of butterscotch and chocolate is a match made in heaven.

Check the link below for more info on quick vs old-fashioned oats.  Also, Mel used a #40 scoop for her cookies, I used a heaping Tablespoon.  While her recipe said it made 3 dozen cookies, mine made about 5-6 dozen so I'm assuming the #40 scoop is much larger (that's what a college degree from an engineering school will do for you!)

CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL BUTTERSCOTCH COOKIES 

1 cup (16 Tbsp, 8 oz) butter, softened to room temp
3/4 cup (5.5 oz) lightly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup (5.5 oz) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups (8.75 oz) AP flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups (12 oz) oats
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet, milk or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup (6 oz) butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Line large, rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray (I use silicone baking pans).

In a large bowl with a handheld mixer or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, a minute or so.  Add the flour, salt, baking soda and oats.  Mix until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate and butterscotch chips.

Scoot out the cookie dough into heaping tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing a couple inches apart.  Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes until set but not overbaked.

Recipe Source:  http://www.melskitchencafe.com/oatmeal-butterscotch-chocolate-chip-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment