Saturday, October 10, 2015

Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Brie Soup


I rarely duplicate recipes, but when something is as utterly delicious as this soup, I have to make sure everyone gets to try it.

We are almost completely into fall weather.  Leaves are starting to turn and temperatures are dropping.  In other words soup weather!!!  As I've said before, I won't name a favorite soup.  I love so many: any kind of chicken (noodle, wild rice, creamy/brothy), clam chowder, green pea, on and on and on.   And, of course, mushroom.

While I can't name my favorite kind of soup, I generally have a favorite recipe in each category.  And let me tell you, this is by-and-far my absolute favorite mushroom soup.  And while I would eat this every single day if it were put in front of me, I really to limit it to just a few times a year because it is a wee bit decadent.

So if you, too, are a mushroom soup aficionado you really must try this luscious, delicious variation.

CREAMY ROASTED MUSHROOM and BRIE SOUP (4 servings)

1 Tbsp oil
1 1/2 lb button mushrooms, quartered (save one or two mushrooms to slice and saute, for garnish)
2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (save an extra sprig for garnish)
2 Tbsp AP flour
1/2 cup white wine or broth
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
4 oz brie, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup milk, half-and-half, or cream (for best results, use cream or at the very least half-and-half)
S&P to taste

Toss the mushrooms in the olive, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes, mixing them up once or twice during the roasting time.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until tender, 5-7 minutes.

Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the flour and cook for two minutes.

Add the wine and deglaze the pan.

Add the broth and mushrooms, bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Add the milk and brie, let the brie melt, fish out the rinds (I cut the rinds off before adding) and season with S&P to taste before pureeing to the desired consistency.

Recipe Source: http://www.closetcooking.com/2014/03/creamy-roasted-mushroom-and-brie-soup.html

No comments:

Post a Comment