Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chicken Tarragon and Roasted Lemon Potatoes


I ran across this recipe (I think it's a Sara Molton recipe) and just happened to have everything on hand so I picked this for dinner. I love tarragon so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. As for the potatoes, I generally use a southwest seasoning with olive oil and Montreal Seasoning for my potatoes, but this sounded nice for a change. While I still prefer my original roasted potatoes, the lemony-ness in these potatoes were a nice change. This recipe served 2. I also found some wonderful, big, blemish-free artichokes which I steamed and served.
CHICKEN TARRAGON
2 bonelss, skinless chicken breast halves, about 6 ounces each (I used Publix chicken cutlets, eliminating the first step of the recipe)
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1 minced shallot
1 tsp dried tarragon
2 Tbsp dry white wine
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup chicken stock
S&P to taste
Sprinkle a small amount of water on a large sheet of plastic wrap. Place the breast halves on top of the plastic and sprinkle again with water. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin or meat pounder until about 1/4" thick.
Mix the flour with the S&P in a shallow pie plate. Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Place the chicken in the flour mixture and coat on all sides. Shake off excess flour and add to skillet. Cook until browned and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate or platter and cover loosely with foil.
Add the shallots, tarragon, and wine to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring to pick up any of the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Boil until the liquid has reduced. Pour in the cream, bring back to a boil, and boil until reduced by half. Pour in the stock, reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer for 3 minutes. Season with S&P, reduce the heat to medium, and return the chicken to the skillet. Simmer, turning the chicken often, until warmed through and the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken and serve at once.
ROASTED LEMON POTATOES
4-5 small to medium red potatoes, cubed
1/2 to 1 lemon, juiced (depending on size and juiciness)
olive oil
S&P
dried oregano
dried parsley
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop potatoes in for about 4-5 minutes, until just beginning to soften.
Drain. Squeeze lemon juice over potatoes. Let sit at least 15 minutes.
Add olive oil and seasonings. Coat evenly.
Bake in 450 degree oven. My potatoes were pretty well cooked, so I only roasted these about 20 minutes. Just check for doneness every 5 minutes after about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment