Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cranberry Apple Cake


I found a half a bag of cranberries left over from the holidays in the freezer then ran across this recipe I had copied I-don't-know-how-long-ago. I wish I knew where it came from so I could give credit where due. I was a bit leary because any recipe I had ever used always called for chopped cranberries. Not here. I took a chance and just threw in the whole cranberries.
WOW! What a surprise! Definitely a burst of tartness, but this recipe is so well balanced with sweetness. You will definitely have your fingers crossed that you get a berry in every bite!
CRANBERRY APPLE CAKE
(A note on the recipe says that the recipe is from Seattle restauranteur Gretchen Mathers. It's good alone or with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Sift a little powdered sugar over the top just before slicing.)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 medium-size Granny Smith apples
1 3/4 packed dark brown sugar (I used light)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/4 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup oil)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped coarse
Heat oven to 350. Grease 10/12 cup Bundt pan or 10x4" tube pan well (I use the cooking spray for baking......works beautifully.)
Put the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir to mix well.
Put brown sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla into a large bowl and beat smooth with a wire whisk. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the cranberries, apples (quarter and core apples, no need to peel.....cut into 1/4" chunks.....about 2 cups), and nuts. Batter will be stiff.
Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 5-15 minutes (my oven took 1 hour, 5 minutes).
Place the pan on a wire rack to cook for about 30 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake and invert on the rack. Let cool completely. It is good fresh; or wrap airtight and store overnight at room temperature before serving or freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment