Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chili-Flavored Turkey Stew w/Hominy and Tomatoes


OK, we are in the heart of SOUP SEASON. As I was going through my pantry, I ran across a can of hominy. WHAT THE HECK WAS I GOING TO DO WITH THIS? I mean, it's not exactly a usual side dish. And I still had some leftover turkey from the turkey I roasted a few days ago. So, I did a search with turkey and hominy as ingredients and ran across this recipe. And it were good! Tasty, tasty, tasty. Served it with a baguette and could have used a bit more bread. This was a great recipe for a bunch of leftovers. (Serves 6)
CHILI-FLAVORED TURKEY STEW WITH HOMINY AND TOMATOES
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, cut into medium dice (I only use sweet onions)
1/2 red bell peper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into small dice
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups canned hominy, drained
4 cups leftover turkey, chopped
S& P to taste
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
Heat oil in large, deep saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder, continue to cook until frangrant, 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, broth and hominy, bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, about 10 minutes, to blend flavors. Add turkey, S&P. Simmer until heated throughout, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips or corn chips, if deserved. I served it with whole grain bread rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment