Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wheatberry Salad


I love wheatberries. I love the chewiness (I'm really into texture). This is a Food Network recipe, but I've made a bunch of different versions. This is a good base recipe, add or subtract other vegetables or seasonings that suite your taste. I keep it around for something to snack on instead of resorting to chips. (A note, I love to add cooked wheatberries to split pea soup.....again, the texture!)
WHEATBERRY SALAD
1 cup wheatberries
salt
1 cup finely diced red onion
6 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
1 carrot, small diced
1/2 tsp black pepper
(I also add chopped water chestnuts if I have them on hand)
Place the wheatberries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook. (Directions say uncovered, but I tend to cover them, cook on low for about 45 minutes or until the berries are chewy) Drain.
Saute the red onion in 2 Tbsp of olive oil (I used olive oil cooking spray) over medium-low heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add remaining 4 Tbsp (1/4 cup) of olive oil (I only used 2 Tbsp) and the balsamic vinegar.
In a bowl, combine the warm wheatberries, sauteed onions, scallions, red pepper, carrot, water chestnuts (if you have them), S&P. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheatberries to absorb the sauce. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment