Monday, January 16, 2012

Best Ever Three Bean Salad


Three bean salad has long been a staple in our home.  It's a great, healthy snack to have around, delicious, too.  I don't I've ever made it the same way twice, varying the ingredients, although the dressing has always pretty much been the same: oil and vinegar, some Southwestern and Montreal seasonings.  

I had picked up a new cookbook recently (Eat What You Love, Lower in sugar, fat, and calories by Marlene Koch).  Everything I've made out of it has been absolutely delicious.  Flipping through the book, I saw this recipe.  I will tell you, there are two ingredients that I can always count on to make my taste buds smile: sesame oil and liquid smoke.  If any recipe calls for either of these, I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to try to.  And, oh my!  Did it ever prove true in this case!

When I first saw the ingredients for the dressing, I couldn't imagine it working, even with the liquid smoke.  But Marlene Koch has not steered me wrong yet, so I had to try it.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go get a snack!

BEST EVER THREE BEAN SALAD (serves 8)

Dressing:
1 small red onion
3 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener (or sugar)
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
freshly ground black pepper

Salad:
1 (15 oz) can cut green beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can yellow wax beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used dark beans)
(not called for in original recipe, but I also added one 15 oz can garbanzo beans)
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced

To make the dressing, peel and grate the red onion with a cheese or box grater into a small bowl.  Add the oil, ketchup, sweetener, vinegar, 2 Tbsp water, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and pepper and whisk to combine.

For the salad, in a large bowl gently mix together the beans, peppers, and red onion.

Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate one hour or more to meld flavors (overnight is great). 

No comments:

Post a Comment